Special enrollment periods for individual and family plans
Year-round enrollment opportunities
Outside of Annual Open Enrollment, you may still qualify to enroll in an individual and family health plan through a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). You may be eligible if you no longer qualify for Medicaid (Medical Assistance) or MinnesotaCare, lost your job, had a baby, moved to the area or experienced other life changes.
What you need to know
You can sign up for a health plan within 60 days of experiencing a qualifying life event, like:
- You are no longer eligible for Medicaid (Medical Assistance), MinnesotaCare or other government-sponsored coverage (90 day SEP)
- You or your dependent loses employer-sponsored coverage
- Your COBRA coverage comes to an end
- You are turning 26 and losing coverage through a parent's plan
- Your household size changes because you got married, had a baby or adopted a child
- You lose private health coverage enrolled in through MNsure due to divorce, legal separation or death
- You gain citizenship status making you newly eligible for a qualified health plan
- You made a permanent move to Minnesota from elsewhere or within Minnesota to a new county or zip code
- You were released from serving a term in prison or jail
- You were enrolled in coverage outside of MNsure and income decrease makes you eligible for tax credits
We’re here to help
Need help finding the plan that’s best for you?
Call a UCare simplifier
Hours: 8 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday
Work with a broker
Find a local independent health insurance broker to help you select and enroll in a plan on MNsure.
Qualify for a subsidy?
Talk with a UCare simplifier or go to mnsure.org to see if you qualify to lower your monthly premiums.