Caring for your baby
Prepaid Medical Assistance Program (PMAP), MinnesotaCare, UCare Connect + Medicare and UCare Connect members
Caring for your baby guide
Parenting can be rewarding and challenging. That's why UCare offers members the Caring for your baby guide. This booklet helps you understand the many changes your child will go through from birth up to age 2.
The Caring for your baby guide has great tips to help keep your child healthy. You’ll find out why it’s important to take your child to the doctor for regular Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC).
Caring for your baby guide (English)
Cómo cuidar a su bebé (Español)
You can use the Caring for Your Baby Guide as a resource for reliable information on all kinds of topics affecting your young child, including:
- Why it’s important to take your child to the doctor for regular Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC)
- Important things to talk about at doctor’s visits
- What may happen when you take your child to the doctor
- The shots your child needs to get at certain ages
- Eating and sleeping patterns from infancy to age 2
- Physical and social characteristics from infancy through age 2
- Language skills in infancy and early toddlerhood
- How you can help your child grow and develop in his or her first two years
- Tips for healthy eating
- Information about different types of car seats and tips on using them
- A checklist to make your home safe for your child
The information in the Caring for Your Baby Guide should be used as a general recommendation. Your child may have individual needs that should be discussed with your health care provider. The Caring for Your Baby Guide was developed by the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health at the University of Minnesota Medical School. It is republished with permission. Because of copyright protection, some of the text could not be changed. When the text refers to "the booklet," it is referring to the materials presented here on the website, and "the clinic" means any UCare primary care clinic.
Caring for your baby – Tip sheets, birth to 2 years
Helpful information about your child’s health and wellness (PDFs).