Enroll in Medicare online
It’s pretty easy to enroll in Medicare and join a Medicare Advantage plan from UCare online. Here’s how.
When to enroll in Medicare
If you’re not receiving Social Security benefits, you’ll need to sign up for Medicare. You have seven months to sign up for Medicare – three months before your 65th birthday, the month of your 65th birthday, and three months after your 65th birthday.
Example: Your birthday July 4
A note on delaying enrollment
You can wait to enroll if you plan to keep working and have coverage through your employer or your spouse’s employer.
How to enroll in Medicare
Go to ssa.gov when you're ready to start your application.
First, click the button that says Apply for Medicare Only to start the application.
If you don’t finish your application right away, you’ll get a code you can use to finish your application later.
Once your application is approved, you can enroll in private health insurance plans to supplement your benefits if you choose.
If you want help to enroll in Medicare,
- call 1-800-772-1213
- Stop in to your local Social Security Office
When to enroll in a UCare Medicare Advantage Plan online
If you're new to Medicare
When you first become eligible for Medicare (either by age or disability), you may enroll in Original Medicare during your Initial Coverage Election Period. This enrollment period includes the three months before you turn 65, the month you turn 65, and the three months after your birthday month. Once you have Medicare Part A and Part B, you can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan.
If you already have Medicare
If you’re already enrolled in Medicare and have Original Medicare or a plan from a private insurance company, you can enroll in a UCare Medicare Advantage plan during the Annual Election Period that runs from October 15 to December 7 each year.
How to enroll in a UCare Medicare Advantage Plan online
Here’s a step-by-step overview of what to expect when you enroll in a UCare Medicare Advantage plan:
- Go to our online enrollment tool.
Here are some FAQs about using our tool.
- You'll need:
-An email address to set up your account
-your Medicare card
- Choose your Primary Care Provider
Enter your primary care provider's name if you have it. If you don't have one or don't know the name, you still can submit your application.
- Choose your plan.
Select the plan you want from the options available in your area. If you haven’t decided on a plan, our online enrollment tool will show your options and help you compare plans.
While selecting a plan, you'll also be able to:
- Search the list of drugs (formulary) each plan covers
- Search the network for doctors, specialists and other care providers you visit
- Enter your Medicare information from your Medicare card.
Enter it as it appears on your Medicare card and answer the questions when prompted..
- Choose how you want to pay for your plan.
Mail a check, set up automatic payments from your bank account, or pay online using a credit card. You can also have payments deducted from your Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefit check.
Here’s the information you’ll want to have handy:
- A valid email address
- Medicare card
- Primary Care Clinic
- The name of the plan you want to enroll in
- If you choose to pay by monthly electronic funds transfer (EFT) from a checking or savings account, please have your bank name, routing number and account number available
To enroll in a UCare Medicare Advantage Plan by mail
To enroll by mail, print and complete the enrollment form for the region where you live. Mail your completed form to the UCare address shown on the enrollment form
- UCare Medicare Enrollment Application - North (includes EssentiaCare) (PDF)
- UCare Medicare Enrollment Application - Metro (PDF)
- UCare Medicare Enrollment Application - South (PDF)
Health care costs can vary depending on the area in which you live. Our UCare Medicare coverage area is divided into three regions based on counties: North, Metro and South. Find your county on the list below or view the map of Medicare regions to find out which region you are in.
Aitkin, Becker, Beltrami, Carlton, Cass, Clay, Clearwater, Cook, Crow Wing, Douglas, Grant, Hubbard, Itasca, Kanabec, Kittson, Koochiching, Lake, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen, Marshall, Morrison, Norman, Otter Tail, Pennington, Pine, Polk, Red Lake, Roseau, St. Louis, Todd, Wadena, Wilkin
Anoka, Benton, Carver, Chisago, Dakota, Hennepin, Isanti, Mille Lacs, Ramsey, Scott, Sherburne, Stearns, Washington, Wright
Big Stone, Blue Earth, Brown, Chippewa, Cottonwood, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Jackson, Kandiyohi, Lac qui Parle, Le Sueur, Lincoln, Lyon, Martin, McLeod, Meeker, Mower, Murray, Nicollet, Nobles, Olmsted, Pipestone, Pope, Redwood, Renville, Rice, Rock, Sibley, Steele, Stevens, Swift, Traverse, Wabasha, Waseca, Watonwan, Winona, Yellow Medicine
Before making an enrollment decision, it is important that you fully understand our benefits and rules. If you have any questions, you can call and speak to a Medicare Sales Specialist at 1-877-523-1518.
- Review the full list of benefits found in the Summary of Benefits or Evidence of Coverage (EOC), especially for those services that you routinely see a doctor. Visit ucare.org/for-members to view a copy of the Summary of Benefits or EOC or call Customer Service to request a mailed copy.
- Review the provider directory (or ask your doctor) to make sure the doctors you see now are in the network. If they are not listed, it means you will likely have to select a new doctor.
- Review the pharmacy directory to make sure the pharmacy you use is in the network. If the pharmacy is not listed, you will likely have to select a new pharmacy for your prescriptions.
Understanding important rules
- In addition to your monthly plan premium, you must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium. If you are currently receiving Social Security, the Part B premium will be taken out of your check each month. If not receiving Social Security, you will be billed quarterly.
- Benefits, premiums and/or copayments/co-insurance may change on January 1 of each year.
- Our plan allows you to see providers outside of our network (non-contracted providers). However, while we will pay for covered services provided by a non-contracted provider, the provider must agree to treat you. Except in an emergency or urgent situations, non-contracted providers may deny care.
Read this information before you enroll in a UCare Medicare Plan.
- UCare Minnesota and UCare Health, Inc. are HMO-POS plans with Medicare contracts. Enrollment in UCare Minnesota and UCare Health depends on contract renewal.
- Medicare beneficiaries may also enroll through the CMS Medicare Online Enrollment Center located at medicare.gov.
- You must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium.
- This information is not a complete description of benefits. Contact the plan for more information. Limitations, copayments, and restrictions may apply. Benefits, premiums and/or copayments/coinsurance may change on January 1 of each year.
This information is available in alternate formats or languages. Please call 1-866-457-7144 (TTY: 1-800-688-2534), 8am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday, to request this information in other formats or languages.