Medical Assistance Programs for individuals, families and children
Get the care you and your family need
Individuals, families and children meeting income guidelines may qualify for Medical Assistance through the state of Minnesota. The best way to see if you’re eligible is to apply through MNsure.org
Current members — important 2021 information
Search the Minnesota Health Care Programs List of Covered Drugs (Formulary)
2021 Minnesota Health Care Programs Provider and Pharmacy Directory (PDF)
Question and Answers about Health Care Directives (PDF)
2021 UCare PMAP Member Handbook (PDF)
2021 UCare PMAP New Member Guide (PDF)
Medical Assistance (MA), is Minnesota’s Medicaid program. This program is for people who have income that is less than 135% of the federal poverty level. The program pays for most of your covered healthcare costs for eligible people in your household.
Income guidelines for a family of four
For more details on income guidelines, visit MNsure.
Most people are responsible for small copays for covered office visits and prescriptions. Medical Assistance health plans like UCare waive the monthly Medicaid Assistance deductible (the amount you must pay before your plan kicks in) which saves you money.
Most people get their Medical Assistance benefits through a health plan like UCare.
UCare offers a Prepaid Medical Assistance Program (PMAP) plan to people eligible for Medical Assistance who live in our 41-county service area. See the map (PDF) for the counties in the service area.
To enroll in a UCare plan, you will need to apply for Medical Assistance first through MNsure. Then, when you qualify and receive your plan choice letter from the Department of Human Services, you can choose the UCare PMAP plan.
Anoka, Blue Earth, Carver, Chippewa, Cottonwood, Dakota, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Hennepin, Houston, Isanti, Jackson, Kandiyohi, Lac qui Parle, Lake of the Woods, LeSueur, Lincoln, Lyon, Martin, Morrison, Mower, Murray, Nicollet, Nobles, Olmsted, Ramsey, Redwood, Rice, Rock, St. Louis, Scott, Sibley, Swift, Todd, Wadena, Washington, Watonwan, Winona, Wright, Yellow Medicine
More about UCare's PMAP plan
In addition to the healthcare services covered by Medical Assistance through the state of Minnesota, UCare plans offer additional incentives and service to help you take charge of your health.
- Up to $20 back on your monthly fitness club fees for adults age 19 and older if you attend frequently* (children age 18 and younger get a fitness kit)
- No-cost transportation to medical, dental and pharmacy appointments through UCare Health Ride
- Access to the UCare Dental Connection, which provides assistance with scheduling dental appointments and coordinating dental services
- No-cost eVisits or virtual visits through virtuwell
- No-cost car seats for eligible women who are pregnant and children up to age 8
- A large network of health care providers
- Rewards for parents and children who stay up-to-date on check-ups, screening, and shots
- Disease management programs for members with chronic conditions
- No-cost quit smoking program
- Save up to $50 a week at participating grocery stores with Healthy Savings. Shop and save when you buy select healthy foods including milk, whole-grain bread, lean meat, eggs, yogurt, fruits, vegetables and more
- Discounts on health and wellness services and alternative medicine practitioners through WholeHealth Living™
- Up to $15 off most community education classes
- Access to our other great health and wellness programs and tools
*At participating fitness clubs
Minnesota Health Care Programs
Minnesota also offers health care assistance programs for: