Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Member FAQ


Getting started with your online member account

It’s easy! Before you start, you’ll need an email address and your UCare member identification (ID) number. Then:

  1. Go to the UCare website at  
    • Look for the blue "Log in" button in the upper right corner and click on it

  2. Next, click on the “Sign up” link below the blue "Sign in" button
    • Fill in your email address, a password, your UCare member ID number, name, date of birth and zip code  
    • Submit your registration

      Password requirements Your password needs to have at least 8 characters, one upper case letter, one lower case letter, one number and one of the following characters:  " ! # $ % & ’ ( ) * + , - . / : ; < = > ? @ [ ] ^ _ ` { | } ~

  3. You'll get a confirmation email. Open the email and click on the confirmation link.

  4. Then, we'll ask you to set your security question and answer. You'll need this information if you ever have to reset your security question.

We'll display this message if the information you entered doesn't match what we have on file for you. Check that what you entered matches our records. Below are some common issues. 

Member ID

Your member ID number is on your UCare member ID card. Medicare and Individual & Family Plan members: If you're using the UCare member ID number from your premium invoice, add two zeros (00) after the first 7-digits in the member ID field. For Individual & Family Plan members: Other members on your policy, such as a spouse or dependent, can create an online member account using the member ID number listed on their UCare member ID card. The member ID number for other members on your policy should end in 01, 02, etc.

First Name

Use your full name as written on your application for coverage. For example: Use Charles instead of Charlie or Anastasia instead of Ana.

Last Name

Use your last name as written on your application. If you see a “Jr” or “Sr” suffix next to your name, include that as listed in this Last Name field.

Date of Birth

Type your date of birth in any of these formats:


For example, use 01/01/1950 instead of 1/1/1950.

Zip Code

If you've recently moved, we may still have an old address on file for you. Try using the zip code from your previous address. Once logged in, you can send us a request to update your information on file.

Each individual member needs to register for their own online member account using separate email addresses. This helps keep your personal health information safe and secure.

If you forgot your online member account password or need to reset it, go to the log in page. Below the "Sign In" button, there's a link through the words "Need help signing in?". Click the link and two options will pop up, "Forgot password?" and "Help". Click on "Forgot password?" You'll be prompted to reset your password via the email account associated with your online member account. You'll need to answer the security question you setup when registering for the account. If you're still having trouble or can't access your email account, you may need to re-register. Call customer service if you have any questions.

Your online member account may be locked if you try to log in too many times with the wrong password. We'll send you an email with instructions on how to unlock your account. It will be unlocked automatically after 60 minutes if you don’t try again with the wrong password.

Once your account is unlocked, you can reset your password by clicking “Need help signing in?” and “Forgot Password?”.

If you still can't log into your account, call customer service.

For the best experience, we recommend using the latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari.

You can access your online member account on all these devices. You’ll have the best experience on a computer or mobile device with the latest software.


Paying my premium

There are a few ways to pay your monthly premium:

  • Online through your online member account using a debit or credit card
  • Pay by phone. To pay by phone using a debit card, credit card, checking account or savings account, call the number on the back of your member ID card. Follow the pay-by-phone prompts.
  • Online bill pay or direct pay from your bank. You can set this up with your bank. Call your bank for help.
  • Automatic withdrawal from a checking or savings account. To get started, fill out an automated payment form. Send it back to us. Find the form here.
  • Check or money order mailed to UCare. See your monthly invoice for details.


Other options for Medicare members only:

  • Social Security Administration (SSA) deduction from your monthly Social Security check. Contact customer service to get started.
  • Railroad Retirement Board if you are a retired railroad employee.

Note: Members on MinnesotaCare plans pay their monthly premium through the Department of Human Services.

Please allow 3 to 5 business days for your payment to be applied to your UCare account and visible online.

Medicare members

We deduct your premium between the 7th and 10th day for that month of coverage. For example, we deduct your January premium between January 7 and January 10.

Individual & Family Plan members

We deduct your premium between the 1st and 5th day for that month of coverage. For example, we deduct your January premium between January 1 and January 5.

Payments are due on the 1st of each month for that month of coverage. For example, when you receive your January invoice in December, you have until January 1 to pay.

Medicare members

You have until the 12th of the month to pay your premium. If you haven’t paid by then, you'll have a 90-day grace period to pay your premium in full. If not paid in full by 90 days, your coverage will end the last day of the month of that 90-day grace period. We'll send you a letter during the grace period with the amount you owe and your payment options.

Individual & Family Plan members

  • With Advanced Premium Tax Credits (APTC): You'll get a 3-month grace period if you paid at least one full month’s premium. Coverage will end the last day of the first month of the 3-month grace period if we don't get your payment.
  • Without APTC: The grace period is 31 days from your premium due date. If you pay your premium in full at any time during the grace period, your coverage stays active. If we don’t get your premium in full, coverage will end the last date of the last month premiums were paid in full.


Filing a claim

To be paid back for medical claims that you've already paid, go to Member Documents page. Find your plan. Under your plan documents, you'll find a claim reimbursement form. Follow the directions on the form. If you have questions, call customer service.


Changing health plans

Individual and Family Plans

You can choose to enroll in a different plan on during the annual Open Enrollment Period. Life changes like having a baby, moving or turning 26 could qualify you to enroll in a health plan during a special enrollment period.

Medical Assistance (Medicaid) and MinnesotaCare

You must report changes for Medical Assistance (Medicaid) and MinnesotaCare to your county or the MinnesotaCare office within 10 days of the change happening. To report a change, call your county or tribal office. Certain life changes like having a baby, moving or turning 26 could qualify you to enroll in a Medical Assistance health plan during the special enrollment period.

Medicare plans

You can make a plan change to be effective January 1 of the following year during the Annual Election Period (AEP) between October 15 and December 7. From January 1 to March 31, the Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period (MA-OEP), you may change to another Medicare Advantage plan. Moving or losing coverage from an employer could qualify you to make changes during a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).

Individual and Family Plan members

Contact MNsure to cancel your coverage.

Medical Assistance (Medicaid) or MinnesotaCare members: If you are no longer eligible for Medical Assistance (Medicaid or MinnesotaCare), you may be eligible to buy health coverage through MNsure. Call MNsure toll-free at <1-855-3MNSURE or 1-855-366-7873 (toll free). TTY users call 1-800-325-0778>, or visit

Medicare members

  • During the Annual Election Period (AEP) between October 15 and December 7, you can make a plan change to be effective January 1 of the following year.  
  • During the Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period (MA-OEP) from January 1 to March 31, you may change to another Medicare Advantage plan or disenroll to return to Original Medicare. You may also be eligible to make changes during a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) if you have a qualifying event, such as moving or losing coverage from an employer.

Questions about Medicare? We’ve got you covered.

If you are currently covered by an Individual & Family Plan, be sure to cancel your coverage before your Medicare coverage begins. Otherwise, you may be billed for two premiums.

To end your coverage, contact MNsure at least one month before you want your coverage to end. This gives MNsure time to process your request. Call MNsure at 651-539-2099, 1-855-366-7873 (toll free) or TTY users call 1-800-325-0778.


Getting a new member ID card

If you would like a new physical ID card, you can click on “My ID Card” and “Request Physical Card” in your online member account. We will then send you a new ID card.

Or, you can click on “My ID Card” and “Download & Print” to get an electronic version. You can show that to your providers just like you would a physical card. Or, you can print it to bring with you.